The website www.exploreedmonton.com (this "website") is a regional web portal created and managed by Edmonton Economic Development Corporation ("EEDC"). By using this website, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of information by EEDC as specified below. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms and conditions, you may not access or use this website.
What Information do we collect through this website?
In general, you can visit EEDC's website without revealing any information about yourself. When you visit this website, the EEDC web server automatically collects a limited amount of information about your online visit for statistical purposes regarding how our visitors interact with us online. These statistics contain no personal information (we describe what is meant by “personal information” below) and are used only by EEDC and Travel Alberta, a partner of EEDC. The information collected from your visit is as follows:
- the Internet domain and Internet Protocol (IP) address from which you access EEDC's website;
- the type of browser and operating system used to access EEDC's website;
- the date and time you access EEDC's website;
- the pages you visit on EEDC's website; and
- the address of another website link, if any, that brought you to EEDC's website.
Voluntary Provision of Personal Information
"Personal information" is information about an identified or identifiable individual, for example, your name, address, telephone number and other similar information. EEDC may collect personal information for purposes associated with EEDC’s legitimate interests, with your consent or if the information is voluntarily provided by you. For example, we may ask you for information, such as your name and email address, when you enter into one of our contests or subscribe to our newsletter. You always have the option not to provide the information we request, however in some circumstances, the failure to provide certain personal information may mean that we are unable to provide you with the goods or services you are seeking to obtain.
Processing of Personal Information
“Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal information, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction. Any personal information processed by EEDC through this website, if any, is subject to and managed by EEDC according to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta) and the General Data Protection Regulation (European Union). This means that:
- we only collect personal information:
- that is necessary for the purposes of EEDC’s legitimate interests, including for the operation of this website; or
- with your knowledge and consent, where such collection is necessary for the provision of goods and services that you request;
- you will be informed, at the point of collection, that your personal information is being collected, the purpose(s) for which it is being collected, and for how long your personal information will be retained before being erased or anonymized;
- any personal information collected will only be used and disclosed subject to your consent for the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, for compatible or consistent purpose(s), or as required or permitted by law;
- you have a right to request access to and/or correction or erasure of your personal information that is in EEDC's custody or control, subject to any limitations set forth in applicable law;
- you have a right to complain to a supervisory authority if you believe we have not handled your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
Your Internet domain name or IP address, which we collect, may identify you depending, in large part, on the naming standards followed by your Internet Service Provider. However, we do not use or disclose this information other than for and in aggregate and statistical purposes and form. Still, you may wish to ask your Internet Service Provider about their policies and practices regarding naming standards.
Disclosure. Personal information collected by EEDC is not disclosed externally, unless:
- you have given your consent,
- disclosure is required or permitted by law, or
- it is in our legitimate interests to do so, including for the operation, maintenance and development of this website, to defend and protect our legal rights, to develop and improve the goods and services provided by EEDC, and to raise awareness of EEDC and its underlying aims and objectives, provided such interests are not overridden by your privacy rights.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, EEDC may share with Travel Alberta, a partner of EEDC, non-identifying aggregate or statistical data compiled using personal information.
Storage and Access. Any personal information collected by us is stored on the EEDC servers located in Canada. If you access or use this website outside of Canada, your user information will be transferred to our servers in Canada. Only authorized EEDC employees with a business need to know and will have access to personal information and we safeguard personal information according to established security standards and procedures, and we continually assess new technology for protecting information.
Privacy of Children. This website is intended for people who are at least 16 years of age. If you are less than 16 years old, please do not send any personal information to EEDC, including information such as your name, address, or email address. EEDC does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 16.
What else should I know about my privacy when online?
Links. EEDC has links to other websites. While EEDC takes measures to ensure that these links are to reputable organizations, EEDC is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of linked websites. You are encouraged to review each website's privacy policies or practices in order to protect your privacy.
Security. We will protect personal information using appropriate technical or organizational measures and security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information in question. Where we have determined, acting reasonably, that there has been unauthorized or illegal third party activities with respect to personal information, we may choose to or may be required to disclose personal information we have collected to law enforcement agencies.
Changes to this Policy
The data controller for the website and services provided through the website is Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, located at 3rd Floor, World Trade Centre Edmonton, 9990 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5H 1P7.
Edmonton Economic Development Corporation
3rd Floor, World Trade Centre Edmonton
9990 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1P7
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate. We will not charge any fees for providing the foregoing services.
All Rights Reserved