Tourism Week Townhall
Tourism Week in Canada is an initiative that aligns tourism organizations, businesses, and other partners from across the country around a common vision: a tourism sector recognized for its contribution to the Canadian economy. It is an annual invitation for all tourism partners to come together to champion and promote Canada’s destinations, tourism businesses, and employees.
This year’s weeklong celebration will take place April 24-30, 2023, and will once again highlight the economic importance and cultural significance of our industry.
For Explore Edmonton, Tourism Week is an opportunity to connect with our industry partners and raise awareness about the value of tourism in our city.
Join us, and fellow tourism industry peers, for a townhall and networking reception to champion tourism in Edmonton with programming that energizes, invigorates, and inspires.
12:30 – 1:00 pm Registration
1:00 – 1:15 pm Elder Blessing and Welcome
- Elder Lorraine Makokis, Enoch Cree Nation
- Paige Goueffic, Manager, Tourism Partnerships, Edmonton International Airport
1:15 – 1:35 pm Tourism Master Plan Update
- Paul Hawes, VP Destination Development and Marketing, Explore Edmonton
1:35 - 1:45 pm Tourism Data and Research
- Jason Letwin, Research & Performance Manager, Explore Edmonton
1:45 - 2:00 pm Question & Answer
2:00 – 2:45 pm Business Improvement Area (BIA) Panel: Visitation and Vibrancy around the city
- Cherie Klassen, Executive Director, Old Strathcona Business Association
- Erick Estrada, Executive Director, Alberta Avenue Business Association
- Puneeta McBryan, Executive Director, Edmonton Downtown Business Association
- Moderator: James Leppan, Senior Manager Destination Development, Explore Edmonton
2:45 – 3:00 pm Coffee & Networking Break
3:00 – 4:00 pm Funding & Grants Panel Discussion
- Joanne Pawluk, Director General, Business Innovation & Community Development (Alberta Region), Prairies Economic Development Canada
- Christopher Smith, Destination Development Manager, Travel Alberta
- Charles Gordon, Senior Planner Local Economy and Investment Services, City of Edmonton
- Moderator: Arlindo Gomes, VP Business Development & Venue Management, Explore Edmonton
4:00 – 5:00 pm Engagement Activity
5:00 - 6:00 pm Networking Reception